Teeth grinding in medical terms is known as bruxism which most commonly affects people while sleeping. Bruxism is a condition where a person grinds, clenches, or gnashes his teeth during sleep and it is mostly caused due to daily stress in life or sleep disorder such as sleep apnea. Teeth grinding for longer period of time could damage the teeth as well as could even cause several health related problems. But you can stop Grinding Teeth habit by following Home Remedies to Stop Grinding Teeth while Sleeping.
How to find out if you are grinding your Teeth?
As Grinding occurs during sleep most of the people stays unaware that they are grinding their teeth. But when you wake up you can experience few minor symptom of bruxism such as headache or sore jaw. Many people also comes to know by their loved ones who hears the grinding sound at night. And if you find such symptoms of bruxism you should talk to your dentist so that they can examine your mouth for any signs of bruxism like excessive wear on your teeth and jaw tenderness.
Symptoms of Teeth Grinding
- Tooth pain or sensitivity
- Earaches or ringing in the ears
- Neck pain
- Chronic headaches
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) and jaw pain
- Gum recession
- Disrupted or lack of sleep
- Weakening, grinding down and/or chipping of teeth
Home Remedies on How to Stop Grinding Teeth while Sleeping
Below are few natural home remedies to Stop Grinding Teeth while sleeping habit.
- Reduce Stress: Stress is the major cause behind teeth grinding and if you try to get relieve or manage your stress you can easily get rid of Teeth Grinding. You can easily relieve your stress by exercising, meditating, eating well, going to sleep on time, and much more. You can read complete steps on how to relieve stress by reading our recent article Stress Relief Techniques.
- Calcium and Magnesium Supplements: Include calcium and magnesium supplements in your diet, as calcium and magnesium is essential for nervous system health and muscle function. So if you have lack of calcium and magnesium in your body you face tension, clenching, and other muscle problems.
- Stop chewing on Stress: Normally when in stress people mostly have habit to chew for eg. Chewing pens or pencils etc. you should avoid such habit when in stress.