Biting your Nails is a very bad habit, this habit of biting nails usually starts developing during the childhood days and can even continue in their teenage and adulthood ages. Biting Nails habit can harm your health in many ways like damage your nails permanently, damage your teeth or gums, even when you bite your nails the germs present under your nail bed could transmit into your body through mouth.
However Nail biting habit can also make you embarrassed in front of public as unknowingly you might start biting your nails when you are in public places, as well as you might also feel embarrassed by appearance of your nails which have been caused due to your nail biting habit.
Reasons behind Biting Nails
Mostly people bite nails due to stress and boredom. The main aim behind biting nail is to keep the part body busy by biting nails which gives some ease towards anxiety. The two main reasons behind nail biting is loneliness and frustration, in some cases nail biting could be due to genes or as just a habit.
Psychological Condition like obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) could also be a symptom of nail biting.
Causes of Nail Biting
Regularly biting nails could damage your teeth, gums as well as your nails and surrounding skin area of nails might bleed and become infected and in return when you touch you face or eat something the bacteria present in your infected fingers would easily transmit into your body which could cause serious infection on your face as well as mouth.
Ways to Stop Biting your Nails
Normally children’s are seen biting nails but as time goes on their habit of nail biting also stops, but in some cases the habit of nail biting might be difficult to stop for teens and adults and for them who are struggling around on how to stop biting your nails we have perfect solutions and techniques on how to stop biting your nails.
- Always keep your nails trimmed short so you will be unable to bite your nails.
- Wear gloves or if possible cover your all finger nails with bandages but make sure you change the bandages every day. This technique will stop you from biting your nails.
- Try to manage your stress by following stress management techniques like meditation, yoga, deep breaths etc.
- Keep your nails attractive by having manicures.
- Apply pungent taste nail polish, this will discourage you from biting your nails because of the taste of your nails (this is one of the best technique for children’s).
These are the some elements if applied properly and regularly you can stop biting your nails forever. If even after following all these techniques you are unable to stop biting your nails than it is recommended that you visit a doctor in this regard.