Body Heat also known as heat stress and it is caused due to numerous factors and one of the main factor which produces heat in our body is environment heat. Environment heat might rise during summer season, mostly when our body is exposed to the sun which results in high body heat.
Other factor which produces heat in our body is the type of food which we are consuming. Some of the food items when consuming results in rise in body heat are spicy foods, caffeine, alcohol etc. so if you want to lower down the rising heat of your body you should avoid such foods.
Table of Contents
What Happens when body heat rises?
The normal temperature of human body should be 36.5o C-37.5o C with minor variations. Whatever the climatic condition may be the internal temperature of body is controlled or cooled down by releasing sweat for normal functioning of the body and whenever the sweating is not sufficient our body temperature rises.
If body heat is left untreated it could develop heart stroke and other health related problems.
What Causes Extreme Body Heat?
There are several factors which might rise body heat and some of the major factors which contributes to rise body heat are hot and humid weather, wearing tight clothing, spending too much time in the sun, strenuous workouts, and other medical conditions might make the condition ever worse.
Body Heat is not a kind of disease but such condition if detected should not be taken lightly and immediate precaution should be taken. Usually Body Heat results in dehydration, dizziness, nausea, muscle cramps, headache, generalized weakness and lethargy, rapid heartbeat and excessive sweating.
However there are several effective natural ways to reduce body heat like moving to shady area or air-conditioned room, removing the tight clothing, and having a sponge bath with cool water. But excluding these basic ways below are some best home remedies to reduce body heat naturally.
Home Remedies on how to Reduce Body Heat Naturally/ Foods & Drinks to Reduce Body Heat
- Cool Water: Cool Water will help to reduce the body heat at some extend. Whenever you experience increase in body temperature drink a glass of cool water and after every 15 minutes sip cool water. This will prevent dehydration which will not make the condition worsen. Another alternative is add ice cubes into a foot tub filled with cool water and dip your foot for about 15 minutes. You can even have a cool water bath or sponge bath to remove or reduce body heat.
- Coconut Water: Coconut Water is an effective home remedy to remove or Reduce Body Heat Naturally. Due to electrolyte present in Coconut Water it helps in rehydrating body as well as it also contains several nutrients which helps in boosting energy. Drink a glass of tender Coconut Water several times a day when body heat is increased.
- Lemon: Regular consumption of Lemon keeps body cool and avoids several health-related illnesses. As Lemon is high in Vitamin C it helps to reduce the body temperature as well as it keeps body hydrated and oxygenated which keeps body energized and refreshed during summer season. Drink several glasses of lemon juice when you feel body heat or during summer season.
- Pomegranate Juice: Drink fresh Pomegranate Juice mixed with few drops of almond oil every morning. This will control your body heat and it is one of the best natural remedy to reduce body heat considered in all age groups.
- Fenugreek Seeds: Fenugreek Seeds which is easily available in your kitchen can help you to control your body heat, just include Fenugreek Seeds in various dishes which you consume daily as well as you can eat few raw seeds of Fenugreek which will give relieve from body heat.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood contains soothing and cooling properties which can reduce body heat or temperature. Prepare a paste by mixing two tablespoons of Sandalwood with one bowl of water or cold milk and add few drops of rose water. Apply the paste or mixture over your forehead and chest, once it dries off rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Milk and Honey: Combination of Milk and Honey works effectively to reduce the heat in your body, just mix one tablespoon of honey into one glass of cold milk and drink it daily.
- Peppermint: Peppermint also works as an effective home remedy to treat or reduce body heat naturally as Peppermint contains soothing and cooling effect. You can have a Peppermint bath by adding few drops of Peppermint oil to cool water and have a bath or else you can prepare a cool Peppermint tea for taste you can add few drops of raw honey, keep it in refrigerator and drink it several times a day.
- Fennel Seeds: Prepare Fennel Seeds Water by soaking handful Fennel Seeds into a glass of water overnight and strain the water in the morning by filtering it. And drink the strained Fennel Seeds Water every morning, this will reduce the heat.
- Watermelon: Watermelon contributes quickly to reduce body temperature due to presence of high water content. Watermelon acts as a potent detoxifier as it flushes harmful toxins in the body which can contribute to body heat. Eating Watermelon daily, especially during summer season will keep you hydrated and heat free.
- Muskmelon: Muskmelon is rich source of water loaded with nutrients and contains cooling effect which makes it effective remedy to treat body heat. Drink Muskmelon Juice daily to reduce heat inside your body.
- Cucumber: Cucumber helps to reduce the body heat quickly. You can drink Cucumber Juice daily to keep yourself hydrated during hot summer which will keep your body cool internally. You can even consume Cucumber daily to control your body heat naturally.
- Sabja Seeds: Sabja Seeds are also known as Tukmaria or Falooda or Basil Seeds. These seeds are grown on Sweet Basil or Thai Holy Basil. Sabja Seeds are widely used in ayurvedic medicines. Sabja Seeds have cooling properties in it and thus sabja seeds reduces body heat. Soak Sabja Seeds into water overnight and in morning add the soaked seeds into a glass of milk with rosewater and drink it.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is another effective and popular home remedy which can remove or reduce body temperature. Due to cooling properties in Aloe Vera it helps to control the body temperature. Extract the Aloe Vera gel from the leaf and apply it over your body and keep it for several minutes and then you can have a cool bath, you can repeat this several times a day. Another alternative is to drink Aloe Vera Juice.
- Indian Gooseberry (Amla): Indian Gooseberry is also called Amla, due to presence of Vitamin C in Amla it acts as an effective remedy to control body heat. Drink Amla Juice twice a day to reduce body heat and mostly during summer season.
- Bananas: Bananas are loaded with nutrients as well as it has cooling effected on the body due to presence of potassium. Bananas also helps in digesting spicy and heavy foods. It is best to make a habit to eat one Banana after meals to digest the food and lower down the body temperature naturally.
- Radish: Radish vegetable is rich source of Water and Vitamin C and hence it helps to reduce the body heat. Radish also contains antioxidant which also benefits to fight again heat stress.
- Sugarcane: As Sugarcane contains high level of sugar it boosts the energy levels of the body. Sugarcane also contains cooling effect which helps to reduce the body temperature during summer. Drink One Glass of Sugarcane daily to beat heat stress.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is very useful and effective home remedy according to Ayurveda to reduce body heat as well as it provides vitamins and minerals to our body which are lost during sweating. Drink a glass of Buttermilk while having breakfast to keep your body cool.
- Poppy Seeds: Poppy Seeds is also known as opium, due to its cooling effect it helps in reducing the body heat or temperature. Mix one teaspoon of Poppy Seeds powder and little amount of sugar, and have it one time a day during summer as well as when your body temperate is high. (Note: Never consume poppy seeds in large quantity as well as poppy seeds are not suitable for children, so avoid giving poppy seeds to children.)
Additional Precaution or Tips to Reduce Body Heat
- Avoid exposure to sun and excess heat or warm areas, try to be in humid area.
- Always sleep in cool and ventilated place.
- Don’t sit inside car parked in the sun.
- Do not drink alcoholic and caffeinated drinks as it affects our body to control the temperature.
- Drink enough water and keep yourself hydrated to replenish fluids which are lost during sweating process.
- Wear loose fitting and light weight clothing which will help you to stay cool.
- Avoid wearing excess clothes which prevents sweat from evaporating easily.
- During summer season try to be in air-conditioned area.
- Apply sunscreen lotions over the exposed parts before going out in sun.
- Avoid eating spicy, fatty and fried food items.
- Avoid eating nuts daily as it could increase heat stress in your body.
- Workout or exercise during cool parts of the day like in morning or evening.