You might have thought of looking for a Vancouver Kung Fu School or one which is near your area just because you discovered many benefits of this ancient martial arts. Well, first and foremost, congratulations. You just made it with the first step with the advancement of your health and of course being part of a practice that is rich in culture and history.
Now in picking a Kung Fu school, you have a lot of things to consider but don’t worry we will guide you through it. The process is quite easy as long as you know the basic things to look for. Without further ado, here are the steps in picking up a Kung Fu school.
- Check for available Kung Fu School Online: You can make the most of the online technology by checking resources online. You should know that there are a lot of ways to get started on this and you have to go ahead and make sure they are in line with your goals, like location from your place, the price, and so on. Basically, you get a good sense of what you need to have to commit in the school if ever you go there. Furthermore, you also get a background of the school without you wasting time and energy.
- Visit the Kung Fu School: Now that you have a list of Kung Fu school around your area that you think are worth the check, then the next best step is to visit the school. Sometimes, it is even wise to take a few lessons if possible. Observe the students and ask yourself this question: are these the type of people I would like to be associated with? Remember that a Kung FU school is represented by the master but also with its students. You don’t want to build relationships in something that you will regret later.
- Try to figure out if these students actually learn: Check also to see whether these students are able to learn from the school or master. Keep in mind that you will soon be part of the class and be exposed with the same lessons. This is why it is wise to check if there is a natural progression in their abilities and with the more advanced students, are they doing what advance students do? You want to see if you can learn from this and it is always an investment. Also, you should check if the students learn despite their abilities or form. We all know that there are some natural born who have the physique that is needed for martial arts, but despite of that, those ordinary people or those who are struggling, are they learning at all?
- Check the facility: Now you will have to start checking out their facilities. Are they clean and well-kept? Do they take pride in their own facility and school in general? Is it a place conducive for learning and for meditation – you should know that Kung Fu involves also meditations and peaceful preparations.
- Lastly, Check the Kung Fu Master: The Si Fu or basically the instructor or Kung Fu master is the one who will teach you. You have to check their credentials. As you know there are many types of Kung Fu and Tai Chi out there, knowing what your master is capable of teaching or is a master of, will give you a good insight on what you will learn. Also, you may want to check if you get a bond with this person. Is he or she someone that you can generate respect? Do you think there is ability for him to teach? Remember that learning an art or mastering it does not qualify you right away as a teacher. Teaching requires patience and understanding so that students can relate.
These are the tips on how to pick a kung fu school for you.