Itchy Scalp, dandruff (flaky scalp) and unmanaged hair are the common symptoms of dry scalp, and if dry scalp is not treated on time it could lead to discomfort, hair loss and several other problems.
Now a days there are several products available in market which claims to have nourishing properties which can prevent dry scalp but alternatively there are many other healthy home remedies for dry scalp which can easily help to prevent dryness of the scalp if you are not in severe stage.
Table of Contents
Common Causes of Dry Scalp
- Excessive use of chemical products which includes conditioners, shampoos etc. can take off natural moisture from your hair which can later on lead to dryness.
- Hair Styling excessively could even cause dryness of scalp.
- Sitting for long hours in air conditioned rooms, or exposure for long hours in the sun could even damage hair and cause dry scalp.
- Lack of essential nutrients in diet could also be a reason to cause dryness of the scalp.
Natural Home Remedies for Dry Scalp
Following these below home remedies for dry scalp could be beneficial as there are no side effects involved using these remedies.
- Coconut Oil: Coconut Oil is widely used home remedy to treat dryness of the scalp as it helps to restore the moisture of the scalp and prevents dandruff and dryness. Massage your scalp gently with warm Coconut Oil and leave it for several hours and rinse it.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil is one of the best remedy to treat dryness of the scalp as it contains antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. Tea tree oil nourishes and moisturizes the hair as well as scalp and reduces the flakiness, dryness and itchiness. An important point to notice while applying Tea tree oil is you should always dilute it before you apply it to your scalp.
- Olive Oil: Olive Oil contains monounsaturated fatty acids and vitamin E which helps to reduce dryness of the scalp. Apply warm Olive Oil and massage it gently over your scalp and leave it for several hours and rinse it.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple Cider Vinegar is always included in every home remedy and here also to treat dryness of scalp Apple Cider Vinegar can be used. Applying Apple Cider Vinegar on scalp helps to balance the pH level of the scalp, as well as also relieves itching and dryness. Always dilute Apple Cider Vinegar with water before applying it on your scalp.
- Sesame Oil: Gentle massage on your scalp with Sesame Oil before a shampoo can help to moisturize and nourish the dry scalp.
- Honey and Lemon Juice: Mixture of Honey and Lemon Juice can help to treat dryness of scalp in a best way, as honey contains antibacterial properties and lemon contains cleansing properties. Prepare a mixture of Honey and Lemon Juice and apply it over your scalp.