Cold is a common illness which affects infants, children’s as well as adults. It is been said that cold weather condition is alone responsible to cause the illness but this is not true at all as there are 200 types of viruses which can cause cold. Some of the common symptoms of common cold is running nose, sore throat and sneezing. These symptoms can last up to one to two weeks. Mostly cold is common among the children’s but at the growing age it becomes rare. On an average common cold can affect a person two to three times a year depending upon the immunity.
Usually when we or any of our family member gets affected by common cold we try to apply some of the home remedies for cold as the ingredients required for home remedies for cold are easily available in our kitchen as well as some of the home remedies for cold also gives instant relief at some level. So below we have some of the effective home remedies for common cold.
Table of Contents
Home Remedies for Cold
- Drink enough amount of water or fluid to relieve congestion. Drinking water, juice, tea, chicken soup, Vitamin C juices, broths, decaffeinated liquids, or any fluid products will keep you hydrated as well as will keep your throat moist. Avoid drinking cold drinks, cola, coffee or other drinks which contains caffeine.
- Blow your running nose regularly rather than sniffling mucus back into your head. Don’t blow your nose too hard as it can lead to earache.
- Take salt water gargle regularly as it will help your sore and scratchy throat to moisten which will give you temporary relief.
- You can Inhale steam to ease your dripping nose and congestion, include vaporizer in the steam for better results.
- Take rest as much as possible as resting will save your body energy and the conserved energy will help to fight against the infection when sleeping.
- Drink hot water, Ginger Tea, Turmeric Milk or fluids, as it will help you to get relieve from congestion.
- Consuming Honey during cold helps to sooth an irritated throat as honey contains high nutrients and enzymes it helps to kill the virus and bacteria which causes cold. You can consume raw honey as well as alternatively you can prepare a mixture by mixing a teaspoon lemon juice with two teaspoons of honey.
- Drink Warm Turmeric Milk while having cold twice a day mostly before going to sleep. Turmeric Milk is an effective home remedy for common cold as it helps to fight against cold and it also treats coughing as well as other symptoms of a cold.
Home Remedies for Cold in Infants
- Give the infant lots of rest as resting will allow body to save the energy. And the immune system will be able to fight against the infections when sleeping.
- You can use saline nasal drops in nose to clear up the mucus in the nasal passages. You can even prepare the saline nasal drops at home by mixing half tablespoon of salt into one cup of warm water and use the solution prepared within 24 hours.
- Apply vapor rubs designed for infants on back, neck and on chest for infants more than 3 months.
- Drink lots of fluids, if the baby is below 6 months give them mothers milk or formula milk. Even you can prepare oral electrolyte solution for infants and give them to drink.