Pistachios in shell are a large source of energy containing potassium, proteins, vitamins, minerals, phosphorus, calcium and all essential amino-acids. Just a handful of Pistachios a day fulfills 60% of the recommended daily value of minerals, vitamins and phosphorus.
In market Pistachios are available in various forms like salted Pista, sweetened Pista, shelled Pista and unshelled Pista. And among all these various forms of Pistachios or Pista plain shelled or unshelled Pista Nuts are the best as they are in natural form and are not processed. Salted Pistachios and Sweetened Pistachios are not a good choice as they are processed ones, as well as they are high in sodium and sugar content. So it is better to stay away from salted Pista and sweetened Pista dry fruits.
Is Eating Pistachios Healthy?
Eating Pistachios provides various health benefits. Pista Nuts are rich in nutrients like protein, calcium, carbohydrates, iron, fat, potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin B-6, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, pantothenic acid, vitamin K, vitamin E, vitamin A, vitamin C, beta-carotene, manganese, thiamine, zinc, riboflavin, lutein and zeaxanthin, folate and copper which are required by for our body to stay healthy and fit. All these nutrients present in Pistachios are must to have a better health.
Below table shows the Nutritional Value of Pistachios Nuts:
|Nutritional Facts of Pistachios (Pista)|
So today let’s find out the various health benefits of Pista nuts.
Health Benefits of Pistachios (Pista) Dry Fruit
- Pistachios Reduces Heart Disease Risks: One of the biggest plus point of Pistachios is that it reduces the heart related disease risks, as regularly consuming Pistachios decreases the bad LDL Cholesterol levels in body. As well as the antioxidants, unsaturated fatty acids (which includes both polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids), and phytosterols promotes to have a healthy heart.
- Helps in Weight Management: Pistachios are often used while dieting as it contains low calories, low saturated fat, high unsaturated fats and high protein. So if you are working on weight management than you should include Pistachios Nuts in your daily diet plan.
- Prevents or reduces damage of body cells and AMD: Pistachios are rich in antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin, which prevents damage to body cells as well as helps to reduce the risks of Age-Related Macular Disease (AMD) in elderly people.
- Prevents Skin Dryness: Consuming Pistachios daily helps to prevent skin dryness due to presence of fat. The fat present in the Pistachios works as a good base oil as in traditional times it was used as an ingredient in therapies like aromatherapy and traditional massage therapy.
- Dietary Fiber: Pistachios are rich source of Dietary Fiber which helps our body in digesting the food smoothly.
- Controls Diabetes: Regularly consuming Pistachios helps in controlling Diabetes. In Diabetes patient the Sugars form becomes unsuitable bonds with proteins and makes them unusable and this process is known as glycation. So the antioxidants present in Pistachios helps to reduce the glycation process and thus helps to control Diabetes.
- Iron Absorption: As Pistachios are high in copper content it helps in higher absorption of iron in our body from food sources. This helps in conditions like anemia.
- Increases Hemoglobin: Vitamin B6 found in Pistachios helps in carrying oxygen in the blood. If Vitamin B6 is taken daily in the form of Pistachios it will help to increase the oxygen quantity in the blood and increases the Hemoglobin.
- Enhances Immunity: Vitamin B6 found in Pistachios enhances the immune system and keeps it healthy. As well as it also helps in increasing blood and proper supply of blood throughout the body.
- Healthy Brain: As Vitamin B6 present in Pistachios helps in boosting the hemoglobin count in the blood. The Oxygen rich blood is supplied to the brain which makes the brain even more active and healthy.
- Prevents Infections and Cancers: As the Vitamin B6 helps to increase the blood count, the white blood cells helps to prevent various types of cancers as well as infections.
- Improves Vision: Consuming pistachios daily helps to promote healthy vision and mostly those who are suffering from vision related issues should consume Pistachios daily.
- Encourages Hair Growth: The fatty acids present in pistachios helps to stimulate hair growth. As well as pistachios helps to have Strong Hair by strengthening the locks.