Do you want to achieve your aesthetic goals and improve your appearance as well? If yes, then you should give liposuction a try.
First off, it is important you know what is liposuction before delving into more details about it.
So, what is liposuction? It is a specialized type of surgical technique that is used to improve the body’s contours by eliminating excessive body fat deposited between the muscles and the skin.
Liposuction is also referred to as suction assisted lipectomy or liposculpture. Basically, liposuction is used for improving appearance but not for treating health conditions. However, you can give it a try if you are looking forward to achieving your aesthetic goals or improving your appearance.
But having any kind of surgery is a major decision that needs a lot of consideration. As such, there are a couple of things that you need to know about this surgical procedure so that you can make an informed decision of whether to try it or not. Below are some of the things that you need to know about liposuction, especially if you are considering having it.
Table of Contents
How is liposuction performed?
- Once you have decided on the technique, the liposuction surgeon will inject a solution containing medication and aesthetic in the targeted area.
- Before undergoing a liposuction operation, you need to have an appointment with your surgeon so that you can decide on the technique that he will use to prepare the area where you want excess fat to be removed from.
- The surgeon will then break up the fat using high-frequency vibrations before making a small cut into the area, and then insert a suction tube that is attached to a special vacuum machine. There are times when the surgeon may decide to make several cuts into the targeted area, especially if there is a large amount of fat to be eliminated.
- Liposuction is normally carried out under general anesthetic, but both epidural anesthetic and local anesthetic can also be used in some cases.
Risks and recovery
After the operation, your surgeon will bandage and stitch the operated area. You may be required to wear an elastic compression clothing so as to reduce the swelling that normally occurs around the treated area after surgery. You may also be asked to spend the night at the hospital if general anesthetic is used during the operation. But, the surgical procedure can result to serious complications if it is not done right or if it is carried out by an inexperienced surgeon. Below are some of the risks that are attributed to liposuction.
- Temporary bruising, swelling, numbness and soreness around and inside the treated area.
- Minor scarring and irritation around and inside the treated area.
- Baggy or rippling skin particularly around the treated area.
How much does liposuction cost?
Cost is among the most important factors to consider if you are thinking of having liposuction surgery. This is actually what everybody who is considering this surgery is always keen to find out.
However, there can be no definite answer regarding the cost of liposuction surgery due to the fact that multiple factors can influence the total cost.
The cost can vary greatly depending on the experience and expertise of the surgeon carrying it out. For instance, highly experienced surgeons will charge their patients more as opposed to their less experienced counterparts. Again, the techniques used for carrying out the surgical procedure can also determine the total cost of this surgery. Moreover, the price can further vary depending on each targeted body area where the surgeon will perform the surgery to get rid of fat.
For instance, the cost of liposuction on outer thighs and hips can be quite expensive as compared to the cost of liposuction of the arms, neck and waist. Generally, the approximate cost of liposuction in the Australia can range anywhere between $1,500 to $3,000 on the approximate lower end and between $4,000 to $7,000 on the approximate upper end.
Does it work?
Liposuction has been proven to be quite effective at eliminating fat deposits especially when they are in small amounts. However, the fatty bulges that were eliminated during surgery can appear if you regain weight shortly after surgery. But generally, the surgical procedure is effective and hence ideal for eliminating unwanted body fat accumulating in different parts of the body.