Indian Gooseberry is also known as Amla and it is most widely used in various Ayurveda medicines due to its miraculous properties. Indian Gooseberry is a citrus fruit due to high content of Vitamin C and it is beneficial to our health in many ways like it enhances food absorption, strengthens eyes, improves muscle tone, enhances fertility, nourishes the brain and mental functioning, strengthens the lungs, regulates elimination of free radicals, flushes out toxins, balances stomach acid, helps the urinary system, acts as a body coolant, promotes healthier hair, supports the heart, fortifies the liver, increases vitality, increases skin health, also acts as an antioxidant etc.
Indian Gooseberry or Amla is used as a home remedy to treat various diseases and hence it is widely used in Ayurvedic treatment. Amla or Indian Gooseberry is rich source of Vitamin C, and also contains many minerals and vitamins like Calcium, Phosphorus, Vitamin B Complex, Iron, and Carotene. Additionally Amla is also a powerful antioxidant agent.
Below are the various Amla or Indian Gooseberry Health Benefits.
Table of Contents
Amla or Indian Gooseberry Health Benefits
- Hair: Amla is used as a common ingredient in various hair care products because it enhances hair growth, hair pigmentation, maintains the complexion, strengthens the roots, and improves the luster. Amla Oil works very effectively to reduce hair fall and baldness due to presence of carotene content in Amla, as well as the iron content and antioxidant helps to reduce the hair loss by preventing free radicals to damage hair follicles.
- Calcium Absorption: Very less people know this fact that eating Indian Gooseberry helps our body to absorb the calcium.
- Eye: Drinking Amla Juice or eating Amla daily can improve eyesight due to presence of carotene, which is very effective for vision-related conditions. Indian Gooseberry content carotene and Vitamin A reduces the muscular degeneration, night blindness, and strengthens your vision before the age-related deterioration from free radicals can occur. Indian gooseberry also helps to cure red, itchy and watery eyes.
- Diuretic: Indian Gooseberry contains high amount of water, and consumption of it causes diuretic. Which means it increases the quantity and density of urination. Increased passing of urination after consuming Amla or Indian Gooseberry helps to flush out the unwanted toxins, salts, excess amount of water and uric acid from our body. And hence it helps to lose weight as 4% of urine comprises of fat, prevents urinary infection and keeps our kidneys healthy.
- Coolant: Indian Gooseberry or Amla contains cooling properties which is very effective during summer season to maintain the temperature of our body and skin by eliminating the heat out. Vitamin C also improves the tannins in our body that protects from heat and light.
- Diabetes: Amla contains chromium which is very effective remedy for Diabetes. Amla encourages the isolated group of cells that produces the hormone insulin, thus it reduces the blood sugar levels of a diabetic patient and helps to maintain healthy and balanced body.
- Reduces Risks of Forming Stone: Regular consumption of Amla or Indian Gooseberry reduces the risks of Forming Stone in gall bladder. Stones are developed in gall bladder due to high cholesterol and regular consumption of Amla reduces its risk by converting the cholesterol into acid in the liver.
- Improves Appetite: Drinking Indian Gooseberry Juice with honey and butter before meals improves appetite. As well as it balances nitrogen levels which leads to weight gain in healthy manner.
- Heart Disease: Eating at least one Indian Gooseberry fruit or drinking one glass of Indian Gooseberry Juice daily helps to strengthen the heart muscles, hence the heart smoothly circulates the blood throughout the body. It also helps to reduce the excess cholesterol, and chromium present in the Amla reduces the chances of plaque buildup in the arteries and vessels.
- Arthritis: Indian Gooseberry (Amla) contains anti-inflammatory properties which helps to relieve swelling and join pain symptoms which occur due to Arthritis.
- Strong Bones: Consumption of Amla or Indian Gooseberry promotes strong bones due to calcium content and property to lower the osteoclasts.
- Anti-Aging: Eating Indian Gooseberry or Drinking Indian Gooseberry Juice daily prevents hyperlipidaemia by decreasing the quantity of free radicals present in the body because of its antioxidant properties. Increase of Free radicals develops in signs of aging such as age spots, wrinkles, etc.
- Regulates Acidity: Consuming Indian Gooseberry Fruit daily is good for stomach and to treat gastritis, burning sensation in the abdomen, ulcers, piles and peptic.
- Immunity Booster: Indian Gooseberry contains antibacterial and astringent properties. And due to content on these two properties in Amla or Indian Gooseberry it helps to defend the body against infection and enhances the immune system. The rich source Vitamin C in Indian Gooseberry acts as a powerful antioxidant which boosts the immune system.
- Sore Throat and Cold: Amla or Indian Gooseberry is effective natural home remedy ingredient to cure Sore Throat and Cold.
- Blood Purifier: Indian Gooseberry or Amla is a natural home remedy to purify the blood. As it flushes out the toxins in the body and also helps to increase red cells count and hemoglobin.
- Mouth Ulcers: Mouth Ulcers could occur due to various reasons like infection, indigestion etc. In this situation Indian Gooseberry or Amla Juice Gargle twice a day works as an effective home remedy to cure mouth ulcers.
- Digesting: Indian Gooseberry is rich in fiber and when it is consumed it adds up volume to the stool and it helps food to move through the bowels and helps to maintain regular bowel movements. This decreases the risks of constipation and also helps in reducing diarrhea by bulking up the loose stools. Alternatively fiber present in Amla also motivates the secretion of digestive juices and gastric, thus food gets digested in an efficient manner.
- Reduces risk of Cancer: Daily consumption of Amla or Indian Gooseberry reduces the risk of cancer, due to presence of antioxidants especially superoxide dismutase. Superoxide dismutase protects out body against the free radicals.
- Rich Source of Vitamin C: Indian Gooseberry is a rich natural source of Vitamin C, so instead of using Vitamin C Supplements and Tablets you can consume Indian Gooseberry Juice, Indian Gooseberry Fruit, or Dried Indian Gooseberry.
- Reduces Smoking Effect: Consuming Indian Gooseberry daily reduces the effects of smoking which causes it to our lungs. Antioxidant present in Amla or Gooseberry fights against the free radicals produced by smoking.
- Burn Fat: Indian Gooseberry (Amla) is very effective to lose weight as it helps to increase the protein levels in the body, and thus reduces the unwanted fat. It also helps to lower down the cholesterol levels and hence the risks of heart attack or stroke also reduces.
- Insomnia: If you are suffering from Insomnia or have disturbed sleep, consuming Amla or Indian Gooseberry daily will work effectively as a home remedy to cure Insomnia.
- Prevents Scurvy and Jaundice: Daily consuming Amla in the form of Juice every morning on empty stomach prevents Scurvy and Jaundice.
- Dysentery and Diarrhea: Gooseberry contains laxative and cooling properties which works effectively as a remedy to treat Dysentery and Diarrhea. It is also used as a remedy to treat burning sensation in the abdomen also known as hyperchlorhydria and gastric syndrome.